You are going to thank me for this one... BEEF BRACIOLE'!
Beef braciole is an Italian dish. In Texas, that is pronounced I-tal-yan with the accent on the I and carried out a bit before the rest of the word. Get it right. Now say it with me, Iiii-tal-yan. Good job
Here is what you need
- 1/2 cup of dried Italian style bread crumbs
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2/3 cup of grated Percorino Roman. Slow them words down too with a break between syllables to get it right. Remember, you are in Texas now, so Texas properly going forward. You get the gist.
- 1/3 cup of grated provolone
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste. You are lucky you got measurements to this point. I don't measure.
- 1 of your round steaks, 1 - 1 1/2 lbs thereof
- 1 cup of dry white win, NOT that bottle Boones redneck. Get the good stuff out and a bottle of a good Cabernet
- 3 1/4 cups of homemade tomato sauce
Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 stalk of celery chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 2 32 ounce cans of crushed tomatoes
- 4 to 6 basil leaves
- 2 dried bay leaves
- Sea salt & ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
First stir in the first five ingredients in a bowl to blend. A Kitchenaide or like thereof is handy here. Stir in the 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season this with the salt & pepper to taste and set aside to sit. Have some of that wine for yourself. Start sipping on that bottle of cab.
Now lay out the round steak. Cover with the bread crumbs evenly. Roll up starting with the smallest or short end into like a jelly roll to enclose the filling completely. Using butcher's twine, tie the roll so it holds at each end and probably in the center. Sprinkle over with salt & pepper. Have a little more wine
Heat the oven to 350
Have a little wine & practice your Iiii-tal-yan
Heat the remaining olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the braciole and cook until browned on all side. Start taking your Instagram pictures here and be proud. Get them just ride and edit out the messy kitchen part so your home looks perfect to the outside world.
Add the wine, drink a little for yourself, add a little more.stir in and bring to a boil. Stir in the marina sauce. Cover partially with foil and bake until the meat is almost tender, turning the braciole and basting it with the sauce every 30 minutes. After an hour uncover, continue to bake and sip wine until tender, about 1 1/2 hours all together. You should need to open a second bottle of wine soon.
The Homemade Tomato Sauce - in a large casserole pot (to make about 6 - 7 cups) heat on medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and saute until soft for about 2 minutes. Add the celery, carrot, salt, and pepper. Saute until the vegetables are soft or about five minutes. Mix in your tomatoes and bay leaves. Reduce to low heat and cover. to simmer for about an hour or until thick. Remove the bay leaves and taste for any seasoning adjustment to taste. Add in the butter a tablespoon at a time until the flavor is smooth and no longer has an acidic taste. This should be going simultaneously with the braciole prep so all is ready at about the same time. If you are just now reading that and cooked as you went, I did the same the first time. Oops. More wine.
Serve braciole sliced and pour over with the homemdae tomato sauce. I prefer to pour the tomato sauce over the meat as soon as it comes out of the oven and then slice & serve.